Liralen Li (liralen) wrote,
Liralen Li

  • Mood:

Very Busy Day

We had a really busy day today. Lots and lots of stuff we had to do before the vacation to SD next week, some pre-scheduled things and some things that we just really wanted to do.

Church was the early service, and we got there a little early in case I needed to do coffee, but the lady doing the snacks had already made it, so I didn't worry about it. Whew. We had the service, and Jet got squirrelly, decided he really didn't want to be up front for the kids' message and then announced he had to use the bathroom. So John took him and they never came back. An elderly parishioner fainted in the midst of the sermon, so someone borrowed my cellphone to make a call to 911, but she was up and wanted to go home and lie down instead of going to the hospital. I thought she was really smart. It was just really warm in the sanctuary today.

I went and took over for John during communion. Jet and I played for a while before it was snack time. He went to wash his hands and decided he might as well use the potty. So he did. And then he ate an enormous amount of strawberries, grapes, and decided that he didn't want the cookie. Just some juice. So when he was done we went home to get the boys a checkbook and the pants I really didn't want to keep. They went off to Costco to return the pants, and I slept like a dead person for the hour and a half they were gone. A fifteen minute lunch and we were of to bag beans.

We used to give the OUR center dried pinto beans on a regular basis. A member of the church, on the commodities market, managed to make an arraignment by which the OUR center could buy, literally, tons of beans for very, very little money. They are broken beans, rather than whole, but still quite nutritious and a great staple for people with no other food. The problem with a ton of beans, though is how to hand them out to the families that need them. So they have monthly bagging. Where folks take beans and put them into donated bags, tie them up, and box 'em to be given out for the month.

So the three of us showed up at the warehouse for a construction company, in cool, comfortable clothing, and we started up a production line. One to open bags, one to scoop beans, then another to tie the bags, one to lop of the extra plastic, and then boxes to hold the bags. This simple process evolved, changed, and speeded up dramatically as two dozen other people showed up. A scooper, with a little calibrating practice, can occupy two bag openers, easily. Tying, though, takes a lot more time, so we had four people tying bags per scooper. There were only two scissors, so all the tied off bags were taken to a staging area where the cutters could just zoom through them, and then the finished bags were put into the boxes.

We went from one line to four lines pretty quickly, with two people running beans between the Ton and the various lines. Jet started out just moving water bottles from box to box, but once the staging area for the cutters started to happen, I got him involved in running the bags between areas, and he started taking the job pretty seriously. It was odd, though, as there was one lady who got upset at him tossing a few bags and breaking one or two of them. She told me about it instead of him, and wanted me to stop him from doing the job anymore. I asked him to be more careful, but decided he really wanted to do this job so it would just be better to help him do it better than telling him he couldn't do it. But moms nag all the time, and I couldn't seem to get through to him that he had to be more careful. Then the lady that was organizing the whole thing hunkered down with Jet and told him that the bags were like eggs, and if you drop them they might break. From that time on, Jet was very careful with the bags, and very proud of the work he was doing. The organizing lady praised him for his care, and when the boxes got to be too tall for him (he's 36 inches tall now) to place the bags in, he would carefully put them in the flap and then tip the flap up until the bags slid in! She thought he was very, very smart for doing that and told him so. Jet grinned so big!

Wow. Afterwards we made it very clear to him that he as helping out hungry people by packaging the beans so carefully and he seemed to absorb that and remember.

I scooped until my arm felt like it was going to drop off. Then I tied for a while, cut for a while, and by then we were done. A ton of beans bagged into one pound bags in an hour and ten minutes. Pretty keen. And I think we all learned enough that next time it'll be even faster and people will be bringing things to make it go even faster. Time for a picture, then everyone left and the two boys wandered the grounds for a while looking for the Perfect Place for Jet to pee. He was tired, but wanted to pee so that he wouldn't get wet during his nap, which both John and I approved of, highly. And he was so particular because he was so tired. They found a spot, we drove home, took a small loop, and then Jet was asleep.

John and I relaxed in the cool of the house while Jet slept.

I woke him up after two hours, as it was a late nap and I didn't want to impact tonight's sleeping time. We also wanted to head to the fair early enough that I wouldn't get eaten by mosquitoes. Dusk is bad. So at 5, I woke him up, gave him some milk and sugar to get his blood sugar up and we went off to the Boulder County Fair.

It had clouded over with the usual, afternoon thunderstorm, but it was still pretty dusty. We walked through the concessions, heard the end of the bull riding, and then went and saw all the animals that were still around. Goats, bulls, long horned cattle, and at the end of that was a petting zoo that Jet and John went into and wandered about. Jet petted some rabbits. We then hit the carnival, and Jet rode the first choo-choo he could see. Then he rode a bunch of other things, by himself. He did great with that! Not like last year when he wouldn't go without one of us, this year he did everything he could do by himself. John had I had fun just leaning against the fences and waving at him as he went by. He did all of the toddler rides, rode with us on the Ferris wheel, and we ended with him on one that had flying cars, helicopters, and dragons on it. We'd run out of tickets.

He wanted to do more, but we said that he had to have dinner, first. And since it was a carnival, he got to eat kettle corn for his dinner. John got a slice of pizza. I got a pork country style rib with lots of BBQ sauce on it for my dinner. We found a shaded platform by the arena and just sat there and ate. Mmmm... Afterwards, we washed our hands, drank some water, and headed back to the carnival.

I now wish that I'd brought my camera with me.

John and Jet walked up the stairs of and slide down a three-story tall slide, twice! Then we walked around the whole area and Jet wanted to ride everything, but outside the toddler area there were a lot of height restrictions on what kids could ride. He did a boat ride, went back to the trains, and then did a bear ride. His very last ride was in a kids' caterpiller rollercoater. He had to go with Dad, but Dad could ride free. Yay! So the two of them were in the very, very front of the ride and I could see Jet's little hands up in the air for the one good fall for the ride, and I heard a good deal of screams from all the passengers. Hee. We all had a blast. Jet said he had a great time, and on the way out, he was asking to go again, already, but he was pretty tired. We lured him on with ice cream and the hot tub.

We stopped by a very busy Cold Stone, ate our fill and then went home to the warm hot tub. It's at about 90-odd degrees. Warm enough to be warm when getting in, cool enough that we're not sweating in there. After the dust and sweat of the day it was really, really nice. Jet made like a porpoise and splashed, swam, dove, and jumped all over the tub while John and I just soaked in it. Afterward, John got Jet into pajamas and brushed his teeth while I showered to clean my hair. It took a while to get Jet calmed down enough to sleep, and then it took a while longer for him to stay that way.

I got to watch the Lance Chronicals on OLN while waiting for Jet to settle all the way down, and the perspective of the commentators and Lance on the whole ride was fascinating to listen to and watch. His respect for most the other riders in the race was really evident, and his perspective, knowing the whole of racing news and the world was interesting to see. That it was more important for Lance to help Basso out with helping someone who had been diagnosed with a rare and deadly cancer than any perceived rivalry during the race was very cool. It was also startling when he would talk of temperatures in Celcius rather than Farenheit. An indicator, for me, that his long-term contact with Europe and European influences has rubbed off.

It was interesting.

Jet went to sleep, finally, and I got to crash in my bed, feeling pretty accomplished, all in all.

  • Bao-zi My Way

    We've been doing a lot of experimental cooking during the pandemic, much as everyone else has been. Some notable highlights have been the TikTok…

  • New Growth

    It's funny how something as simple as a toothbrush working again as it should could be a sign of hope. Small things working as they ought to. The…

  • Still Sad and Observations about the Longmont Police

    I burned Hell Money for Morgan when he died during COVID in an ICU for an infection of the ankle. He was younger than I, and he was a kind man…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.