Liralen Li (liralen) wrote,
Liralen Li

  • Mood:

Day at the Movie

Soon after I started writing this morning, John woke up and went out and got The Chronicles of Riddick as well as a breakfast burrito from The Burrito Kitchen. He enjoyed his very spicy breakfast while I wrote and then we sat down on our recliners, with a bucket of caramel popcorn and watched the movie with the volume loud enough to shake the house during the big battle scenes.

That was great. :-) No lines, no tickets, no waiting through advertisements, and it cost us a buck. Hee.

I really enjoyed it. It had different moral tensions that the first movie had, and it had a lot more FX than choices. There were a few, and they were interesting and reminded me, very much, of a Japanese samuri movie more than anything. Sometimes I feel like American movie making is moving more and more towards what Americans "think" is Asian/Oriental, occassionally I catch glimpses of the real thing and that's always startling.

Then we got to see the extras and I got to watch parts of it with the trivia on. That was a lot of fun. I got a good ways into knitting John's rainbow hoodie, but when I had him try on the hood it was enormously and hideously too big for him. So I started taking it apart.

Then we went and got Jet from the pre-school, entered the hell that is Wal-Mart on Black Friday. There were a few things we had to pick up before Portland, and a few things for Macy's birthday party. So we were pretty set when we finally got through the maze of twisty register lines, all alike. Instead of braving a bunch of other things, we decided to just go home, regroup, plan, and see what there was we really wanted to do.

After a potty battle royale, we headed to Boulder. Jet fell asleep in the car, and we believe, from his actions, that he hadn't had a nap, so it was an okay thing. John and I then took turns hauling Jet's limp body around Boulder. He had on a down vest, his fur hat, and we'd put mittens and a thick sweater, wool socks, and thick pants on him, so he seemed entirely comfortable while we walked around, shopped through some pretty nice toy stores, and on the last swap, when Jet went into my arms, he woke up at the west end of the walking Mall. We went a little further, hit one store, and ended up at the Jax Fish House.

There are times when I'm really glad that I can bring my three-year-old into $30 a plate restaurants without a single qualm. He was great. The Kunamoto oysters were just as good, fresh, crisp, and wonderful with just a bit of horseradish. Yum. I started with a cup of the tomato-lobster bisque. It was sweet and savory with a crisp, chewy cheese crouton on top. Then I had a huge crab cake on a bun, with a mountain of crisp fried onions, and a huge plate of cole slaw. John had some kind of bluenose bass with a green curry and a mango chutney. Yum. Jet got a huge plate of "fish sticks" and fries, with real fish, so Jet didn't know what to do with them. "They're not straight!" he said. So he wouldn't eat them, but he did pretty well with the fries.

After dinner, Jet went to the potty and had a great time singing the whole time he was sitting there. John giggled a lot on telling me when they came back. The father at the table behind me had gone at the same time and enjoyed the concert. It's good that the person that was treated to it enjoyed it. :-) On the way out, I managed to "just" snap the chin strap of Jet's fur hat onto him. With John tried it, Jet got tickled by the whole process and couldn't stop giggling, which set John off, too. But I managed to get it on him, and he started giggling and shouting, "I can't hear! I can't hear!" and John called him a pumpkin head, and Jet said, just as loudly, "I am NOT a pumpkin head!!" and then giggled and giggled when John said, "Hey! How did you hear that?"

We walked through the cold back towards the car, stopping at the kite shop near the car. But there were lots of people out, and they were all smiling at Jet in his fur hat, who was happy as a clam and dancing around and singing, and chasing all the toys and colorful displays. At the Boulder Art Coop, he wanted to go in, and a lady said, "We have balloons if he wants one..." and he marched right up and said, "Green, please! I'd like a green one, please." She was so charmed she even put a loop on it for him to hold onto. Of course, the balloon started bumping all the ceiling displays, so we headed back out.

When we got to the kite store, I held onto the balloon, and, eventually, to Jet's mitten as well, as Jet started to systematically explore every single game set in the store. He would sit with each game and play with it, discover how it was put together, how to take it apart, and then how it was made. Then he would move onto the next one. He'd gotten through four by the time we were done with all the shopping we wanted to do, and there were still dozens and dozens to go. Oops. Many of them really nice and still rather inexpensive. So we finally just negotiated our extraction. It took another ten to fifteen minutes, but was worth the doing.

Jet was happy and singing all the way home. We took a little time to watch part of a movie, and then he went to bed pretty easily. Whew. I get to sleep in tomorrow morning. Yay!

  • New Growth

    It's funny how something as simple as a toothbrush working again as it should could be a sign of hope. Small things working as they ought to. The…

  • Still Sad and Observations about the Longmont Police

    I burned Hell Money for Morgan when he died during COVID in an ICU for an infection of the ankle. He was younger than I, and he was a kind man…

  • Changing Habits

    I started reading James Clear's Atomic Habits: An Easy and Proven way to Build Good Ones and Break Bad ones, and it started with a really…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.