You know how sometimes people on your friends list post about stuff going on in their life, and all of a sudden you think "Wait a minute? Since when are they working THERE? Since when are they dating HIM/HER? Since when?" And then you wonder how you could have missed all that seemingly pretty standard information, but somehow you feel too ashamed to ask for clarification because it seems like info you should already know? It happens to all of us sometimes.
Please copy mine below, erase my answers putting yours in their place then post it in your journal! Please elaborate on the questions that would benefit from elaboration! One-Word-Answers seldom help anyone out.
1. Name: Liralen Li. It's been my internet name since the mid-80's. The Li is my birth family's name. The Liralen is a mythical bird from Patricia McKillip's The Forgotten Beasts of Eld. My real name isn't hard to find, but it makes people think of Ukranian grandmothers, I still remember being told that I couldn't be the instructor of a lace yarn spinning class because I'm 5'10" Chinese woman with a blue leather jacket and jeans and Army boots.
2. Age: Has to do all the math again. Uhm... 44? Yeah. I think so.
3. Location: Longmont, Colorado, moved here when Jet was 3 so he could have a real neighborhood.
4. Occupation: Retired. Stay-at-home Mom if you like. But really with no intension of going back to pay work again. Other than, perhaps writing something that can be published. I started as a hardware engineer (custom silicon and embedded design), went to software (GUI's and then up into management) at just the right time, and now my money makes money faster than I could. It's mildly depressing in some ways, very cool in that I do have the freedom to do whatever I want, which includes playing video games with Jet, now.
5. Partner: Married for over 21 years to my John Fellow, and it's for the best. We met at that intellectual bootcamp called Caltech, and have pretty much stayed together since, through thick, thin, and everything else. We do the two word conversation thing that Ukitake and Kyouraku do, all the time, it drives other people nuts.
6. Kids: Just the one. The Boy. Jet. He's seven and happy and about to go into second grade. Yes, one is enough. Plenty.
7. Brothers/Sisters: One younger sister, who is a mild Internet personality herself. Kathy Li, or the Mad Woman With a VCR, or Neil Gaiman's fountain pen pusher. She's into photography now, she's a technical writer, and we talk now and again.
8. Pets: Well, ants at the moment as Jet has three different ant farms. Before Jet, we had Fezzik, our 110 pound Newfoundland who lived twelve years and died of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. After a year of good quality of life chemo he just failed all at once. I miss Fezzik a lot. I don't really miss taking care of a dog.
9. List the 3-5 biggest things going on in your life:
-being a member of a UCC church
-knitting, spinning, fiber arts
10. What did you go to school for?: MS and BS in Electrical engineering. I was one of 3 girls in Caltech for my EE undergraduate department, and one of 2 girl of 200 students in my MSEE class at the University of Washington. I was already engaged to John before my MS finished, so I couldn't say I was in it for an MRS. *laughter*
11. Parents: Yes. They're both living in the San Diego area, and are still active and traveling.
12. Close Friends: jetsdad or John. He's the one friend I've kept since 1981. Kathy. She's... my sister. She knows me better than anyone in the world and has been with me my whole life in one way or another. I've fought with, loved, hated, made up with, and learned more from those two people than anyone else in the world.
I have other friends, but most of them are long time, long-term Internet friends, folks that I'm just in my friendship with whenever I see them. Carl, jonsinger, Rick Floyd, rmd, kjc, tagryn, shaterri, ross_teneyck are all friends of over two decades and still with me one way or another. Heck, Ross lived in our house for a year, was it? The Horde, as a whole, have been there for me for the last decade, along with incandescens and archangelbeth. I'm making new ones all the time, as the recent wave of fandom-related friends can attest. But even so I don't add friends to my flist quickly.
My only face-to-face friends, though, are UCC folks, including jenniferck, and a few other church folk who also have kids Jet's age. It's... different though.