1. WHAT'S THE STORY BEHIND YOUR LJ USERNAME?
I took it back in the late 80's on Usenet. The Liralen's a very pretty white bird that everyone wants, but to *have* it they have to face themselves and they only live when they confront the Liralen's other side, the Blammor, if they can know themselves and not regret. The uglier way of saying it is that I have a very happy, cute, nice public face and can be a complete bitch once I get to really know someone and I have completely shredded people. Some people have, however, also said that I helped them through some shit by asking them the questions they had to answer. I do regret what pain I have caused, but after years of trying to 'fix' that aspect of me, I'm having to live with the fact that it's just part of the way I was built. So it's my name.
2. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE PIG-OUT FOODS:
Rack of lamb
any eight to ten course degustation at Rovers in Seattle
3. HAVE YOU EVER HAD A MAKEOVER?
Yes. Two, when I was a teenager. One I learned from, the other made my Mom grab a washcloth and angrily exclaim, "They made you look Japanese!" as she scrubbed... I actually agree with her, it was pretty wrong.
4. NAME ALL THE MEMBERS OF THE BEATLES:
John (the Baptist), George (whom I always thought was the cute one), Paul (the commercial one), Ringo (the drummer that never blew up)
5. WHAT'S THE LONGEST TIME YOU'VE STAYED OUT OF THE COUNTRY/WHERE?
Three months in Taiwan when I was six-years-old.
6. ONE THING YOU'RE GRATEFUL FOR, TODAY:
After many decades of it not being true: being myself.
7. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE HIGH SCHOOL MEMORY:
Math meets. Mrs. Duffy, who was the first lady math teacher I respected immensely, and so I joined the math team and was the only girl on it, but had such a blast. It was an adrenaline rush to get things *right* and to learn all the tricks to thinking things through faster than freakin' anyone.
8. WHAT IS THE MOST INSANE THING YOU'VE DONE FOR/TO YOUR CRUSH THAT HE/SHE MIGHT NOT/MIGHT KNOW
Hm. Had a part of myself kill herself over 'em.
9. DESCRIBE YOUR DREAM WEDDING:
I liked the one I had. Lots of our friends involved and participating and enjoying themselves. Big Catholic wedding to please my parents and all their friends, and then the really fun cake reception that everyone enjoyed out on the Del Mar coast. Finally a ten-course Chinese banquet that gave everyone plenty of time to talk.
10. WOULD YOU EVER JOIN TEMPTATION ISLAND?
11. NAME THREE  TEACHERS YOU LIKED IN HIGH SCHOOL/ELEMENTARY.
Mrs. Duffy, above, math
Mrs. Brown, a biology teacher who also had cancer and taught until she couldn't anymore
Mrs. Goldberg, my kindergarten teacher who dealt with the times I was so frustrated I could only speak in Mandarin.
12. DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE QUOTE? WHAT IS IT?
I don't, really, have a single favorite quote... usually I like a particular quote for a
13. MY FIRST HEARTBREAK HAPPENED WHEN I WAS... [CARE TO SHARE THE STORY?]
8. My hamster, Fatty, took a dive off a fireplace mantle. I, being only 8, thought the little rodent wouldn't leap off a high place and was proven, fatally, wrong. My sister and I cried for two days straight and the little guy has his own little burial mound in our front yard...
14. THE SCHOOL PICTURE YOU BURIED IN YOUR BOTTOM DRAWER?
Hm. Not that I know of...
15. DO YOU HAVE ANY WEIRD PREFERENCES? WHAT ARE THEY?
Lots. I prefer male clothing. I find that pain centers me as much as a massage. I enjoy geeks. I love hardware problems. I love math. I love driving precision cars. I really enjoyed giving birth to Jet. I ... yeesh. Pretty much everything I really love is 'weird' for a female. Might be easier to say what's not weird, and then I'll freak out my geek friends... *laughter* I like romance novels. Uhm. I like to do calligraphy and knitting and write long, leisurely letters...
16. WHAT IS ONE THING YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE OPPOSITE SEX?
I don't understand women far more often than I don't understand men. Still, there are some women I understand happily, and some men I can't fathom. I don't think gender has pretty much anything to do with whether or not I understand someone. rant rave ...
17. WHO IS YOUR BEST FRIEND? [care to share why?]
18. NAME ONE TV CHARACTER YOU'D MOST WANT TO BE:
19. IF YOU WERE FAMOUS, AND WERE TO BE A GUEST ON A TALK SHOW, WHOSE SHOW WOULD YOU CHOOSE? WHY?
Emeril Live. Because they eat good on that show.
20. GIVE YOURSELF A PORN STAR NAME.
21. DO YOU HAVE ANY WEIRD SLEEPING HABITS?
When I first moved to Colorado from Seattle, I missed the sound of the rain so much I bought myself one of those little white noise generators that had a rain setting, and every night, before I go to sleep, I turn it on and dream of being back amid the rain.
22. WHAT DO YOU PLAN TO DO THIS SUMMER?
Go to Rosty's parents' 50th anniversary for two weeks, a big blow-out family reunion. I also play to play with Jet outside, a lot, all summer, swim, walk, and have a good time outside.
23. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SONG RIGHT NOW?
None. I haven't listened to music for a very long time.
24. WRITE A LINE FROM ANY SONG:
When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way, from your first cigarette to your last dyin' day...
25. DO YOU KNOW AT LEAST ONE DISNEY SONG BY HEART? WHICH ONE?
Stay Awake from Mary Poppins, mostly 'cause I've been singing it to my son to put him to sleep. I just love it for it's negative psychology and it works great as a lullaby.
Stay awake, don't rest your head
Don't lie down upon your bed
While the moon drifts in the skies
Stay awake, don't close your eyes
Though the world is fast asleep
Though your pillow's soft and deep
You're not sleepy as you seem
Stay awake, don't nod and dream
Stay awake, don't nod and dream
26. DESCRIBE YOUR DREAM HOUSE:
I want the master bedroom on the same floor as all the other bedrooms, and all the bedrooms large enough to hold a queen-sized bed and a desk. A study on the ground floor with enough build in bookshelves for our ton and a half of books. All the bedrooms and study and kitchen wired. A kitchen the size of an elephant! With gas stove, two electric burners for slow cooking as well, electric oven, stainless steel everything and fridge, and more counter space than I can fill with a single grocery trip. I want a four car garage with plenty of work space, a yard I don't have to maintain but I can work on. I don't want useless living/dining/formal eating areas. I want a soaking tub with no jets in a giant master bath suite with an enclosed shower with a stone bench and a toilet in its own closet... etc. etc. etc.
We've been looking at houses, lately.
27. YOUR TYPICAL SLEEPWEAR:
28. WHAT'S IN YOUR BAG?
A silver pocket watch and chain, a packet of Kleenex, a chap stick, random coinage, a Visor, a keyboard for said Visor, a fountain pen from 1941, a Nestle chocolate Crunch egg, two movie ticket stubs from Blade and Monsters Inc, my leather men's wallet, a Knife, my keys, two badges (one for the new facility, one for the old), spare batteries for the Visor, two bookmarks, a rubberband, a pony tail holder from when my hair was long I guess, a cel phone, and a tin of Bert's Hand Balm.
29. WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET?
Four frequent flyer cards, three credit cards, a driver's license, a picture of Jet, half a dozen "Buy a dozen get one free" cards for various businesses, a Safeway Club card, a King Sooper's card, and a AAA card.
30. HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR WALLET RIGHT NOW?
31. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PAIR OF SHOES?
My brown Birkenstocks, the replacement for my blue ones of 12 years.
32. IF YOU COULD'VE GONE TO YOUR SENIOR PROM IN A DIFFERENT OUTFIT, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
I wouldn't have.
33. HOW WAS YOUR SENIOR PROM?
It was cool. Since I'd moved just before my senior year, I hadn't expected to go at all. I went with probably the handsomest guy in our class because he's just been dumped by his girlfriend, and he asked me because a week ago I'd driven him home while he was sick drunk. So he took me and came and got me in a convertible and we had a comfortable time, both of us. He found me very strange and easy to be friends with. Not his kind of girlfriend kind of girl, but a good girl to know in a fix. That was fun.
34. TELL US ABOUT ANY OF YOUR BIRTHDAYS:
1998. Fezzik, my dog, had just has his birthday party in September, with 100+ people showing up and having a great time. I, that same year, had a birthday party with just Rosty and Jon Singer and we went to Rover's in Seattle, and had, probably, the best dinner I've had in my life.
35. WOULD YOU RATHER BE A HOBBIT, AN ELF OR A DWARF?
Hobbit. Comfortable folk who care about their kids.
36. WHAT ARE THE FIRST FIVE THINGS YOU WOULD SPLURGE ON IF YOU WERE A BILLIONAIRE?
The Dream House on the Oregon Coast
Set up a trust fund for Jet's education and the rest of his life.
Maybe another kid... maybe.
Probably give LiveJournal a million or so to keep them set for a while
An Audi TT
37. WHAT IS YOUR DAILY BEFORE-GOING-TO-BED RITUAL?
Take out contact lenses, brush teeth, put in tooth guard, eat vitamin, strip, turn on the rain, bash the buckwheat hull pillow into submission, "Good night, John." and then sleep.
38. WHAT IS THE WEIRDEST/FUNNIEST NICKNAME ANYONE HAS EVER CALLED YOU?
Ah-du because my friend (at two-years-old) could not say my name.
39. NAME THREE  OF YOUR FAVORITE CARTOON CHARACTERS:
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls
Jade Chan - of Jackie Chan Adventures