Liralen Li (liralen) wrote,
Liralen Li
liralen

Pictures of Stuff...



The Hat
This is Harold and his hat. *laughs*

He looks so happy.

The hat was made from Blue Faced Leicester wool dyed by Crown Mountain Farm in their "Cold as Ice" colorway. I love BFL more and more and more as I work with it. It's soft to the touch, strong enough for a lot of wear, and it's just so much fun to work with. I have mittens made from the stuff that are faintly fuzzy, warm as anything, and even in a single-ply it's strong enough to just last and last.

I spun it fine and Navajo plied it so that it would be smooth and strong, as Harold wears his hat every day. So we'll see how many months it actually gets through.

Flooring at Christy's
This is Christy, in front. She's a single mom, a substitute teacher, a piano player (her brother's a concert pianist so she says she doesn't play well, but... whew... she plays really well), and owner of two loveable dogs. Her house was at the low point for her whole neighborhood, and when she was sitting in her breakfast nook on the day of the flood, she saw the feet of water rolling toward their neighborhood. She got up, got her dogs, got what stuff she could, and had to back her truck out in the rush of water.

She just went half a block up the street to get out of the water, but then watched it knock her garage off its foundation, and fill the ground floor of her house. This house is the biggest project of all the houses. Most of the houses have been just a basement remodel, mostly, or an entry way and stairs. We started with her just a day or two after the flood, with the cleaning up and mucking out, and tearing out of the drywall that was destroyed. The crawlspace was filled with flood mud, and we had days and days of digging it out and hauling it away in five gallon buckets. We've had to pretty much redo most of the first floor, and she's been working as hard or harder than anyone. We ripped a lot of the drywall out, pulled all the flooring to the joists, and had to yank all the wiring that got wet. It was down to nothing but the framing.

She and I used .22 rounds to fire nails into the concrete to hang her insulation in the crawlspace under the house. Since it was all concrete, that was the only way to get it to stay. I've also done some of the conventional insulation, the wiring, the drywall, the floors, and the vacuuming. *laughs* There's a ton of cleanup with every construction job. It was an amazing day when the Christian Aid Ministeries guys came in and did all the drywall, the tape, and mudding all in like two days. It was insane what a difference it made, as the house went from studs to actual walls again.

Flooring at Christy's
This is John with the boxes of flooring pieces. In the foreground is the chop saw. We laid the tongue and groove flooring piece by piece, fitting each one in place, and then nailing it in. It's a wood, finished and polished.

Still, we had to cut the far ends to fit, and I pretty much had the job of figuring out how long the piece had to be and cutting it to that specification, including two sections with forty-five degree angles that went into and out of her breakfast nook. It was a lot of fun, and I got to be pretty accurate with the chop saw, as the finishing gap by the wall should be somewhere between 1/8 of an inch and 1/4 of an inch at the most so that the trim can cover it. 1/8th of an inch is about the width of the chop saw blade, so I got really good at sawing on one side or the other of the mark and making sure that it was within an 1/8th of an inch of where I wanted the cut.

Fitting Together the PIeces
Of course, that meant that I pretty much had to make the last piece of each row. This is everyone standing around after the morning's work. *laughs* Watching me fit the last piece in for the morning.

That was fun.

John had to buy some stuff for Dale to finish installing the back three windows, so I went off and got sandwiches for the two of us at a local sub shop. Then while we were waiting for the times when Dale needed a helper, John and I finished the rest of the flooring in the front room, piece by piece. It is a lot like a giant jigsaw puzzle, but most of the pieces fit all right.

Mostly Done!
And the results are amazing.

John pointed out, while he was working on this, that this is one of the few jobs in the reconstruction where once you're done with it you're done. With drywall, you have to still tape and mud. With electronics, you have to get the inspection and then finish all the plating parts. With tile there's the laying of the tile and then grouting it all and then trimming it. Windows and doors have to be framed, set, and then finished all around them. When you do the walls you still have to do the trim, and then you have to putty all the nail holes, caulk the crack, and paint it properly. It's all got several steps that have to go a few days. Painting is the other one where it's just done when it's done.

And wow, it looked beautiful.

It's also pretty satisfying to do and see the results.

Today was mostly meetings, but they were good productive ones where agreements were reached, understandings exchanged, and action items handed out to those interested in doing them. I also called a whole list of people and got yes from most of them.

Busy, but good.
Tags: building_things, knitting
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 10 comments