It was mighty impressive icing.
I dropped Jet off in the morning, picked him up around 2:45, and they'd fed him lunch. Then at 6, we all went to the high school, dropped him off, and found seats we really liked in the auditorium. It was fun. We changed seats until we found something we really liked, and then settled in for the evening.
John's got video of the performances, and I'll post 'em here eventually, but the performances were pretty extraordinary. As Jet later said, "The amazing thing was being taught that the whole section should sound like one instrument, and then... omg... we did!!" They did. He later commented that with the high school honor band could make multiple sections sound a chord as if they were one instrument. He was pretty impressed by that.
He also happily, after the performance, told us about how the whole trombone section messed up entering one portion of the music and then went in two different directions on another bit. He was giggling at how the director was looking at them all with a tilt of the head, a director's "what are you all doing?", but kept going. That was fun to listen to, Jet really has a sense of the bigger picture of how the music is going, and he has a sense for it that's fun to listen to.
All right, and now the long promised hats....
I couldn't see the flaws in his band performance, either, so we had fun talking about it that way, too. That was fun. John's is on the left, Jet's on the right, and Jet wears it every snowy day.
I'm still figuring out which charting software I want to use for the charts. And it's kind of amazing to me what's now available out there for free. But I hope to have a pattern published to Ravelry for free sometime in the next month or so.
the pattern by Alana Noritake. I'll admit that it was probably one of the most boring knits I've ever done. *laughs and laughs* It's just a skull cap with I-cord sewn on (as I suspected), but the brain pictures in her pattern were well worth the cost.
Someone on Facebook asked me to make this for her, so I did! *laughs* It was fun to finish, I'll admit. The weird thing is that she somehow used nearly 150 gram of yarn for hers, but I ended up only using about 75g of Knit Picks Comfy fingering all together for mine. Not sure how she used double the yarn I did, and I packed the squiggles pretty tight.
The fun thing is that there's two frontal lobes and clear right and left hemispheres to the thing, so there's a little anatomical detailing to it that's just fun. *laughs*